Are you the go-to-student for the innovative ideas and solutions? Immensely interested in tech-related projects? Then, here comes an opportune moment to show your skills to the world and win big.
Smart India Hackathon, conducted by our government of India which provides opportunity for organizations to state their problems and the college students from all over India can come up with innovative solutions.
WHAT IS SMART INDIA HACKATHON 2019?
Smart India Hackathon is World’s Biggest Open Innovation Model that aims to provide platform for technology students to offer innovative solutions for pressing problems which we face in our daily lives, thus inculcating a culture of product innovation and a mind-set of problem solving.
After the grand success of Smart India Hackathon 2017 & 2018, the third edition of this initiative was launch in August 2018. The primary objective of SIH2019 is to harness the creative energy and ability to our technology students across all technology institutions (more than 50 lakh students from 6000+ institutions) to think out-of-the-box and offer innovative solutions for the development of our nation.
HOW DIFFERENT IS THE SIH 2019?
• Opportunity to create world class solutions for challenges faced within the Private sector organizations, NGOs & union ministries
• Helps the Private sector hire the best minds from across the nation
• Just like its prequel, Smart India Hackathon 2019 would also have 2 sub-editions – Software edition (a 36-hour software product development competition) and Hardware edition (a 5 days long hardware product development competition)
WHEN IS THE LAST DATE TO SUBMIT THE IDEAS?
The deadline to submit the ideas for Smart India Hackathon is January 20th, 2018.
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR SMART INDIA HACKATHON 2019?
All participating team members should begin their team registration process by downloading Smart India Hackathon SIH App from Google Play Store.
1. Registration on SIH App and on portal www.sih.gov.in are separate and both have to be completed. Download the SIH app here
2. Registration of teams must be done by a Team Leader only.
All the Team leader has to do is..
• Visit the SIH portal here.
• Click on ‘Register’ button and create a login id for their respective team
• Fill all the required fields and upload your College Authority Letter in PDF format
• Once you click submit, the team leader and rest of the team members receive OTPs for verifying mobile numbers and email ids
• The team leader will also receive an email verification link on his/her email id.
• Once all the details are added, click on ‘Submit’ button
• Your team registration will now go to your College SPOC for authentication. Teams will receive notification once SPOC completes authentication process. Notification will be via email as well as SMS to Team Leader You are now ready to make an idea submission.
HOW SHOULD YOU FORM A TEAM?
• All team members should be from same college; no inter-college teams are allowed. However, members from different branches of the same college/ institute are encouraged to form a team.
• Each team would comprise of 6 members including the team leader.
• Each team must have AT LEAST ONE FEMALE TEAM MEMBER.
• As the software edition of the hackathon is digital product development competition, majority of the team members MUST be well versed with programming skills. For the hardware edition, we encourage multi-disciplinary teams – which means your team should have a good mix of Mechanical Engineers, Electronic Engineers, Product Designers and Programmers.
• Colleges MUST issue one College Authority Letter in the prescribed format for every team. The authority letter format can be downloaded from the top left hand side of the page where team registration page.
• The letter must be issued on college letterhead only. It must clearly state name of the team and all 6 team members, and must be duly signed by college principal/ dean/ institute director and bear the college seal.
• The team name should be unique and MUST NOT contain the name of your institute in any form.
• A team can make multiple idea submissions for different problem statements under the same team name
• Team members CANNOT be associated with multiple teams in parallel!
HOW DO YOU SUBMIT YOUR IDEAS?
Idea submission must be made by the Team Leader only.
• Submission dates should be strictly followed. No exceptions will be made.
• Only those teams that are authenticated by College SPOCs are allowed to make idea submission!
• Team leaders must login on https://www.sih.gov.in/, select the problem statement of their preference and submit ideas to them.
• Now fill out your Idea title and description in the dedicated boxes and upload your Idea ppt in PDF format. Click to submit!
WHAT IS THE SELECTION CRITERIA?
Evaluation criteria will include novelty of the idea, complexity, clarity and details in the prescribed format, feasibility, practicability, sustainability, scale of impact, user experience and potential for future work progression.
WHEN/WHERE WILL THE SHORTLISTED IDEAS BE ANNOUNCED?
• Notification about selected teams will be put up on SIH portal and will also be sent to their respective nodal center
• You may also keep a track of all the latest announcements and updates about the initiative through SIH App.
• Be available for meetings, A-view sessions and trainings during the preparation phase; you will be notified about them in advance.
• If a team is selected for the final Hackathon, members will need to travel to the assigned center which can be anywhere in India.
• For Software Edition, after teams are shortlisted, each team will either be allotted 2 mentors or they will have the option of selecting them from the industry or academia.
• For Hardware Edition, 2-3 Industry mentors are encouraged – specifically those with over 5 years of hands on experience in hardware industry.
• On selection, total team size will be (6+2).
• Shortlisted teams traveling for the grand finale will be eligible to receive reimbursement for to & from journey via 2S (2nd Class sleeper) railway fare. The reimbursement amount will be paid at the grand finale nodal centers upon producing copies of train tickets and completing relevant forms. The arrangement for booking of train tickets is responsibility of teams themselves or their institutes.
• College faculty members traveling with teams for the grand finale are not eligible for any reimbursement of travel expenses.
• The nodal centers will be arranging for accommodation of teams during the grand finale.
• Each college/institute will issue a stamped photo ID to each member of the teams selected for the finale
• College photo ID is mandatory for participating in the finale.
PROBLEM STATEMENTS AND PRICES TO BE WON
• SIH2019 brings you problem statements from leading public and private organizations, union ministries and NGOs in India.
• There would be ONE single winning team for every problem statement posted on the portal.
• Amount of prize money awarded to the winning team would depend on the complexity level of a problem statement.
|Complexity level||Price money|
• Teams are also encouraged to think out-of-the-box and provide creative solutions to themes under ‘Students’ Innovation’ category.
• Intellectual property (IP) of the idea would belong to the college/institute and the team members jointly. However, team members will make their product available for free for the government institution for which they are working.
• Selected ideas need to be further developed so that they can be productized before the government institution(s) will be able to utilize it; more efforts beyond the finale are required from the selected teams thereafter.
Sharpen your skills, form your teams and let your innovative ideas revolutonize the world!